Table of contents:

Chemicals must be handled in a safe way and according to certain regulations. You can find a lot of information at Medarbetarportalen. Below we just summarize some things and mention things that are specific to our labs.

All departments have their own chemical advisor (kemikalieombud) who makes sure the chemicals are registered, stored and handled in the right way. Any questions, talk to your chemical advisor.


  • All chemicals are purchased by appointed purchaser of chemicals at your programme, and registered in the KLARA system.
  • All purchase must be done according to current agreements and import is not recommended.


  • You can add the link to the chemical database KLARA in your "Systems" menu at Medarbetarportalen for quicker access.
  • All programmes have a common guest login for users (ask your chemical advisor). In KLARA you can find information concerning which chemicals that are available at EBC and also material safety data sheet (msds).

Safety Information

  • You must always read the material safety data sheet before starting to work with a chemical.
  • Kits used for different laboratory procedures are often poorly labeled and can contain hazardous chemicals. Read the material safety data sheet. All kits should be handled as chemicals and registered in KLARA.
  • Always make a risk assessment before handling a new chemical.
  • You are responsible for finding out what protective equipment and routines should be used to handle the chemical in a safe way.
  • Always think ahead – what do you do in case of an emergency (emergency routines, absorbents, phone numbers etc)?
  • Always check for alternatives to hazardous chemicals. Please read more about sustitution of dangerous chemicals. See also the "Substitution list of hazardous chemicals" for hints and ideas.

Specific requirements for CMR class products

The provisions Chemical Hazards in the Working Environment 2011:19 state that specific requirements apply when handling materials with the following hazard statements or risk phrases:

H350                   May cause cancer
H340                   May cause genetic defects
H360                   May cause harm to fertility or to the unborn child
R45                     May cause cancer
R46                     May cause heritable genetic damage
R49                     May cause cancer by inhalation
R60                     May impair fertility
R61                     May cause harm to the unborn child

Please see here for more information - and talk to your chemical advisor before starting to work with a chemical classified as CMR.


  • Current rules and advice on the storage of chemical products can be found in the University’s "Guidelines for the storage of chemical products" UFV 2008/758 (
  • Generally, all chemicals that are marked with warning symbols should be stored in a ventilated chemical cabinet that it is marked for that purpose. If you store chemicals in a fridge/freezer, make sure it is properly labelled. 
  • Keep doors to the chemical cupboards closed for safety reasons.
  • Not all chemicals can be stored together depending on their properties. Storage information can be found on the safety data sheet and you can get help from the chemical advisor.
  • Flammable chemicals must be stored according to regulations. Rules and advice on handling flammable goods can be found in the University’s "Guidelines for the handling of flammable products" UFV 2010/1666 (
  • Bottles of hazardous chemicals should never be stored on higher shelves. This is to minimize the risk of an accident in case a lid is not properly tightened or if a bottle would fall down.


  • All containers, including temporary ones, must be labelled with substance, your name, date, department or program and GHS-pictogram. Information for labelling of chemical products can be found in the university’s “Guidelines for the labelling of chemical products” UFV 2008/759.


  • Be careful when transporting chemicals. If you need to carry bottles, put them in a bucket to reduce the risk of them falling over or dropping them. Always use an extra container, for example SafePaks, for the more hazardous chemicals or broken/leaking containers. If you have larger amounts of bottles, there is a trolley with a pallet collar that you can borrow from Campus Management.
  • For transport of chemicals using the elevator, always use “farlig transport/gods”. And take the stairs. Do not use the elevator when chemicals are transported.
  • When transporting liquid chemicals, it is good to use absorbents in the bucket or on the trolley, in case of a spill.

Chemical Waste

  • Read more at Medarbetarportalen.
  • Chemical waste must be disposed of according to specific regulations. 
  • Original bottles/containers that are intact and correctly labelled are handed in to Campus management. Use labels named “Kemikalieavfall” (which can be collected at campus management). If bottles/containers are not intact use Safe Pak to store the bottle of chemicals in.
  • Ask your chemical advisor for more information.

In case of spill

  • You must read the information “In case of chemical spill” (available in/outside the labs) before you start working in the lab.
  • We do not clean up any chemical spill ourselves, instead we call the clean-up company. Always contact RELITA AB at 0771 - 10 35 00.                                        
  • If you spill something in a fume hood or something less hazardous on the floor, it is good to prevent the liquid from spreading further by throwing some absorbents on it.
  • Protect yourself before helping people that might have been injured or exposed to hazardous chemicals.